- Area: 603.550 sq km
- Agricultural lands: 429.728 sq km
- Permanent crops: 9.053 sq km
- Forest area: 101.396 sq km
- Population: 44.033.874 (as of July 2017)
- GDP: $352,9 billion (2017 est.)
- GDP per capita: $8.300 (2017 est.)
- GDP composition per sector:
- Agriculture - 13.8%
- Industry - 27.3%
- Service - 59.5 % (2017 est.)
- Country Name: Ukraine
- Capital: Kiev
- Administrative Divisions: 24 provinces (oblasti, singular - oblast'), 1 autonomous republic (avtonomna respublika), and 2 municipalities (mista, singular - misto) with oblast status; Cherkasy, Chernihiv, Chernivtsi, Crimea or Avtonomna Respublika Krym (Simferopol'), Dnipropetrovs'k, Donets'k, Ivano-Frankivs'k, Kharkiv, Kherson, Khmel'nyts'kyy, Kirovohrad, Kyiv, Kyiv, Luhans'k, L'viv, Mykolayiv, Odesa, Poltava, Rivne, Sevastopol', Sumy, Ternopil', Vinnytsya, Volyn' (Luts'k), Zakarpattya (Uzhhorod), Zaporizhzhya, Zhytomyr Note: administrative divisions have the same names as their administrative centers (exceptions have the administrative center name following in parentheses)
- The Ministry of Energy (Minergo) with separate departments for oil and gas, electricity, coal and nuclear power supervises the energy secotor.
- The Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources takes care of the climate change policy and is responsible for the development of oil and gas fields.
- In 2014 the new regulatory authoritiy for energy and utility services was installed, the National Commission for Energy and Utility Services State Regulation (NCEUSSR) replacing the former National Commission for Energy Regulation (NERC) and the National Commission for Utility Services State Regulation (NCUSSR).
- Founded in 2005, the State Agency for Energy Efficiency and Energy Conservation (SAEE) is responsible for the efficient use of energy resources and enery savings.
Ukraine became member of the Energy Community in 2011 by signing the Energy Community Treaty that aims to align the country's energy laws with EU legislation.
In 2014, Ukraine, the EU and Euratom ratified an Association Agreement entailing several reforms of the energy sector. The price for the supply of gas and electricity to industrial consumers must solely be determined by supply and demand, dual pricing in the energy sector is forbidden.
In 2014, Russia annexed the Crimea Region of Ukraine. Since then a civil war troubled the eastern part of the country. As a consequence two provinces voted for the separation from Ukraine.
More information on EU and Ukraine
Last update: 07 2023