- Area: 45.228 sq km
- Arable land: 14,9 %
- Permanent crops: 0,1 %
- Forest area: 23.564 sq km
- Forest land: 52,1 %
- Population: 1.258.545 (July 2016)
- GDP (purchasing power parity) $38,7 billion (2016)
- GDP per capita (purchasing power parity) - $29.500 (2016 )
- GDP composition per sector:
- agriculture 3,5%
- industry 28,1%
- services 68,4% (2016)
- Country name: Republic of Estonia
- Capital: Tallin
- Administrative divisions: 15 counties (maakonnad, singular - maakond); Harjumaa (Tallinn), Hiiumaa (Kardla), Ida-Virumaa (Johvi), Jarvamaa (Paide), Jogevamaa (Jogeva), Laanemaa (Haapsalu), Laane-Virumaa (Rakvere), Parnumaa (Parnu), Polvamaa (Polva), Raplamaa (Rapla), Saaremaa (Kuressaare), Tartumaa (Tartu), Valgamaa (Valga), Viljandimaa (Viljandi), Vorumaa (Voru)
The Department of Energy of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications is responsible for the energy policy.
The Estonian Competition Authority regulates the energy sector and reports to the Ministry of Econic Affairs and Communications. The Authority was formed in January 2008 through the merger of the Energy market Inspectorate (created in Januarys 1998), the Competition Board and the National Communications Board.
The Climate and Energy Efficiency Agency (KENA) acted for one year before it was closed in 2011. Its activities were taken over by KredEx, a public financial institution.
- Estonia is an EU member country since 1 May 2004
- The country has 6 seats in the European Parliament.
- Estonia is a member of the eurozone since 1 January 2011.
- Estonia is a Schengen Area member since 21 December 2007.
- Estonia held the rotating presidency of the Council of the EU for the first time in the first half of 2018.
Last update: 07 2023