- Area: 28.748 sq km (water: 1.350 sq km, land: 27.398 sq km)
- Arable land: 22,7%
- Permanent crops: 2,7%
- Forest area: 8.136 sq km
- Forest land: 28,3%
- Population: 3,074,579 (July 2020 est.)
- GDP (purchasing power parity): $36.01 billion (2017 est.)
- GDP per capita purchasing power parity: - $12,500 (2017 est.)
- GDP composition per sector: agriculture 21,7% I industry 24,2% I services 54.1% (2017 est.)
- Country name: Republic of Albania
- Capital: Tirana (Tirane)
- Adminstrative divisions: 37 municipalities
- The Ministry of Energy and Industry supervises the energy sector.
- The National Agency of Natural Resources (AKBN), which replaced the National Agency and the National energy Committee, is in charge of implementing the energy policy and regulating the hydrocarbon sector and mining activities.
- The Energy REgulation Entity (ERE) is in charge of regulating the energy market and electricity prices.
- Albania's European Centre for Energy Efficiency (EEC) is working on energy efficency projects since 1999.
- Candidate country
- Albania was identified as a potential candidate for EU membership during the Thessaloniki European Council summit in June 2003.
- In 2009, Albania submitted its formal application for EU membership.
- In October 2012, Commission recommended that Albania be granted EU candidate status, subject to completion of key measures in the areas of judicial and public administration reform and revision of the parliamentary rules of procedures.
- In June 2014 the EU candidate country status was granted.
- In April 2018, the Commission recommended the opening of accession negotiations.
- In June 2018, the Council set out the path towards opening accession negotiations.
- On 25 March 2020 the Council decided to open accession negotiations.
- Being a candidate country for EU membership Albania is a member of the Energy Community. It is required to transpose the EU acquis and the Third Energy Package (rules for the internal gas and electricity markets, transmission and interconnections).
Source: European Commission - European Neighbourhood Policy And Enlargement Negotiation
Last update: 09 2020