- Area: 93.030 sq km
- Agricultural land: 58.9% (arable land: 48.5% , permanent crops: 2% , permanent pasture: 8.4%)
- Forest: 22.5%
- Population: 9,771,827 (July 2020 est.)
- GDP: $289.6 billion (2017 est.)
- GDP per capita: $27.600 (201)
- GDP composition per sector: agriculture: 3.9% , industry: 31.3% , services: 64.8% (2017 est.)
The State Secretary for Energy and Climate Policy within the Ministry for the Innovation and Technology oversees energy and climate policy.
The former Energy Office (MEH) was replaced by the Hungarian Energy and Public Utility Regulatory Authority (HEA or MEKH) who is in charge of regulating the electricity and gas sectors.
A law ratified by Parliament in 2003 aims to end the monopolies, enable the privatisation of gas import and export activites and liberalise the access to storage and distribution infrastrutures.
The main power sources of Hungary are still gas and nuclear.
EU membership status
Hungary is an EU Member State since 1 May 2004 and has 21 seats in the European Parliament.
Hungary has a permanent representation in Brussels that ensures a communication with the EU bodies. This representation of the country intends to make sure that the country's interests are well represented in the EU.
Hungary took over the presidency of the Council of the EU between January - June 2011.
Last update: 10 2020