- Area: 110,879 sq km
- Arable land: 29.9 %
- Permanent crops: 1.5 %
- Forest area: 40,693 sq km
- Forest land: 36,7 %
- Population: 7,057,504 (July 2018 est.)
- GDP: purchasing power parity - USD 153.5 billion (2017 est.)
- GDP per capita: purchasing power parity - USD 21,800 (2017 est.)
- GDP composition per sector of origin: agriculture: 4.3 % | industry: 28 % | services: 67.4 % (2017 est.)
- Country name: Republic of Bulgaria
- Capital: Sofia
- Adminstrative divisions: 28 provinces (oblasti, singular - oblast); Blagoevgrad, Burgas, Dobrich, Gabrovo, Khaskovo, Kurdzhali, Kyustendil, Lovech, Montana, Pazardzhik, Pernik, Pleven, Plovdiv, Razgrad, Ruse, Shumen, Silistra, Sliven, Smolyan, Sofiya (Sofia), Sofiya-Grad (Sofia City), Stara Zagora, Turgovishte, Varna, Veliko Turnovo, Vidin, Vratsa, Yambol
Energy Administration and Institutions
The Ministry of Energy is in charge of the country's energy policy. The former Ministry of Economy and Energy was split. It had been created through the merger in 2005 of the Ministry of Economy and the Ministry of Energy and Energy Resources.
The Sustainable Energy Development Agency (SEDA) is responsible for the energy efficiency policy. It is an executive agency within the Ministry of Economy and Energy. It is the successor of the executive Energy Efficiency Agency (EEA).
The Energy and Water Regulatory Commission (EWRC) is the regulator of energy prices and oversees the contruction of gas and oil pipelines.
Along with Romania, Bulgaria joined the EU in 2007, bringing the number of member states to 27 countries.
Last update: 09 2019