- Area: 65 300 sq km
- Agricultural land: 44.8% arable land: 34.9% / permanent crops: 0.5% / permanent pasture: 9.4%
- Permanent crops: 50 %
- Forest area: 22.594 sq km
- Forest land: 34,6 %
- Population: 2,711,566 (July 2021 est.)
- GDP (purchasing power parity) $103.756 billion (2019 est.)
- GDP per capita $37,231 (2019 est.)
- GDP composition per sector: agriculture: 3.5% , industry: 29.4% , services: 67.2% (2017 est.)
- Country name: Republic from Lithuania
- Capital: Vilnius
- Administrative divisions:60 municipalities (savivaldybe, singular - savivaldybe); Akmene, Alytaus Miestas, Alytus, Anksciai, Birstono, Birzai, Druskininkai, Elektrenai, Ignalina, Jonava, Joniskis, Jurbarkas, Kaisiadorys, Kalvarijos, Kauno Miestas, Kaunas, Kazlu Rudos, Kedainiai, Kelme, Klaipedos Miestas, Klaipeda, Kretinga, Kupiskis, Lazdijai, Marijampole, Mazeikiai, Moletai, Neringa, Pagegiai, Pakruojis, Palangos Miestas, Panevezio Miestas, Panevezys, Pasvalys, Plunge, Prienai, Radviliskis, Raseiniai, Rietavo, Rokiskis, Sakiai, Salcininkai, Siauliu Miestas, Siauliai, Silale, Silute, Sirvintos, Skuodas, Svencionys, Taurage, Telsiai, Trakai, Ukmerge, Utena, Varena, Vilkaviskis, Vilniaus Miestas, Vilnius, Visaginas, Zarasai
Energy Administration and Institutions
- In January 2009 the Ministry of Energy became responsible for the energy sector, which since 1996 had been under the supervision of the Ministry of Economy.
- The Lithuanian Energy Agency was founded in 1993. The aim of the agency is to improve the overall situation of energy in the country, that is increase energy efficiency, expand energy resources and reduce dependence on Russian energy supply (90%).
- The National Commission for Energy Control and Pries (VKEKK) is the regulatory authority for the electricity and gas sector and is controlling prices for electricity, gas and district heating.
Lithuania is EU member since May 2004.
The country held the presidency of the Council of the EU once in 2013. 11 members of the European Parliament come form Lithuania. The country has a permanent representaton in Brussels through which it communicates with the EU institutions.
Last update: 07 2023